Heifer International Project Accountant Job in Nairobi Kenya
Summary: Our Client Heifer International is a global nonprofit humanitarian development organization dedicated to ending hunger and poverty and caring for the Earth by empowering small holder farm families around the globe to become self reliant and attain sustainable livelihood through economically viable animal agricultural enterprise.
In Kenya, the second phase of the project will adopt a more private sector led strategy with the overall objective of building significant partnerships with public and private organizations for co-funding, innovative design and overall project expansion.
Function: The Project Accountant will work with the programs teams to maintain financial integrity and ensure sound financial management of the country programs.
- Coordinate the submission of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual finance reports and financial statements and interpret variance reports and expenditure analysis to staff and projects
- Manage the program/project cash flow including reviewing payment requests, monitoring the petty cash imprest, checking bank reconciliations, etc
- Manage payroll processing and tax filing activities
- Support producer organizations with accounting matters and assess how project funds are utilized.
- Ensure that all transactions are in line with government laws.
- Conduct training and staff development workshops with the accountant’s team in order to maintain a high standard of reporting.
- Prepare, coordinate, and monitor the project budget.
- Check the bank reconciliations every month and forward them to the Finance and Administration Manager for approval.
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles and standards including HPI Partners, donors, local, and HQ cost principles.
- Maintain knowledge of required rules and regulations related to project implementation and activities that affect the budget.
- Review payment requests and ensure timely processing of funds.
- Establish and maintain sound financial management systems, and provide administration support to the project.
- Ensure effective filing system in the office, and coordinate with Program staff to ensure the project’s resources are effectively and efficiently utilized.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in project accounting
- At least two (2) years in a supervisory or leadership capacity.
- Certified Public Accountant, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) certification, or equivalent.
- Good analytical skills and ability to verify information.
- Knowledge of accounting and Statement of Financial Accounting Standards rules.
- Strong skills in budgeting, reporting, and ability to analyze and interpret financial reports.
- Excellent qualities and management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software, and knowledge of accounting software (e.g.: MS Office Suite, Agresso, Solomon, QuickBooks).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated written and oral fluency in English.
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Kenya.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
P O Box 6416, Nairobi, GPO 00100
Email: [email protected]
Closing date: Friday, 13th December 2013
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.