Heifer International Monitoring, Learning & Evaluation Officer Job in Eldoret Kenya
Summary: Our Client Heifer International is a global nonprofit humanitarian development organization dedicated to ending hunger and poverty and caring for the Earth by empowering small holder farm families around the globe to become self reliant and attain sustainable livelihood through economically viable animal agricultural enterprise.
In Kenya, the second phase of the project will adopt a more private sector led strategy with the overall objective of building significant partnerships with public and private organizations for co-funding, innovative design and overall project expansion.
Function: The position will work closely with the Country management team and Heifer headquarters’ Monitoring, Learning and evaluation (MLE) team, the Country MLE will support country MLE function for the project, as such, work in close collaboration with respective EADD consortium partners and their M&E leads with the view to support the country program on MLE function.
- Drive the implementation of MLE framework and specific initiatives in EADD Kenya.
- Document key outcomes, lessons learned and impact on key innovations in EADD Kenya
- Develop knowledge management activities; identify lessons learned during implementation or successful innovations, and other information that could be shared with partners and key stakeholders.
- Produce quality reports to aid learning toward in policy engagement and replication
- Develop MLE tools that would permit the project to carry out its role, jointly with field staff, consortium partners and the funding agency.
- Provide technical input on strategies to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying bottlenecks in completing planned activities and develop plans to minimize such bottlenecks.
- Recommend steps for strategic adjustments and steps and provide follow up to implementation.
- Supervise and manage all evaluations and operational research for the project including baseline, midterm and end-line assessments.
- Ensure that production of training and education materials reflects information needs identified by the MLE system.
- Develop and maintain a project database at country level.
- Prepare and consolidate monthly, quarterly, mid-term and annual reports.
- Coordinate annual project reviews and planning workshops and support in preparing and disseminating relevant reports.
- Provide country team personnel with key tools and support them in their use.
- University degree in a relevant discipline, 4 + years in MLE
- A solid background in MLE experience, ideally gained in working in the development context.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field based programs in the country.
- Proven experience in staff training.
- Clear understanding of the dairy value chain and Heifer’s Value based model.
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategies aimed at providing institutional capacity building’ to key partner institutions with a view to build a more efficient, competitive, and sustainable dairy industry.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry.
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
- Knowledge of and experience with developing private/public partnerships at the national and business level.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English and other local languages, both oral and written.
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Value Based Holistic Community Development.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate MLE concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels.
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in various locations.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout Kenya and other EADD project sites.
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
P O Box 6416,
Closing date: Friday, 13th December 2013
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.