Heifer International Business Development Manager Job in Eldoret Kenya
Summary: Our Client Heifer International is a global nonprofit humanitarian development organization dedicated to ending hunger and poverty and caring for the Earth by empowering small holder farm families around the globe to become self reliant and attain sustainable livelihood through economically viable animal agricultural enterprise.
In Kenya, the second phase of the project will adopt a more private sector led strategy with the overall objective of building significant partnerships with public and private organizations for co-funding, innovative design and overall project expansion.
- Work with other key industry actors to identify potential strategies to accelerate increased investments in the subsector.
- Incorporate within the framework of the project, potential ‘win-win’ business opportunities which can attract different value chain actors to engage in transactional relationships with each other.
- Facilitate the transformation of producer organizations (POs) into formal collective enterprises that stimulate rural dairy business hubs.
- Identify critical investment needs among key producer organizations.
- Mobilize POs improve value proposition for members.
- Identify and develop investment and financing options in dairy value chains with the view to increase net returns to actors.
- Design and roll out appropriate support intervention to improve milk quality and value addition capacity.
- Facilitate development of business planning guidelines and conduct strategic business planning sessions for member organizations.
- Identify MFIs/Banks ready to engage with POs and agro entrepreneurs and assist in developing proposals for funding.
- Provide ongoing support to member organization with the view to increase production and business capacity.
- Develop the capacity of input service providers and their linkages with POs.
- May perform other job-related responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related field, plus five (5) years in a mix of economic growth/trade, value chain competitiveness, investment promotion, or agriculture development.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ management level work experience is essential.
- Significant experience in building public/private partnerships, preferably in the dairy sector.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting business, investment analyses, and capital budgeting and sufficient evidence on how the results were used to develop potentially viable business ideas and subsequently tangible businesses.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry.
- Strong business skills, leadership, strategic and innovation skills.
- Strong communication skills both in English, Swahili, and other local languages of the cluster area.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest developments in advancing good/best practices in value chain development that reaches women, youth, the poor, and underprivileged.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions and design catalytic activities within the value chain (e.g. the concept of quality-based pricing).
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategies aimed at providing institutional capacity building’ to key partner institutions with a view to build a more efficient, competitive, and sustainable dairy industry. This requirement is in line with the need to have in-built ‘exit strategies’ within the project as a measure of ensuring that there are self sustaining businesses by project end.
- Ability to manage training programs targeted at youth and young farmers in animal husbandry, feed and health. This activity seeks to position Kenya as a learning hub .
- Knowledge of and experience in setting up cottage industries for processing locally branded dairy products (e.g. cheese, butter, fortified milk and yoghurt among others) for onward supply to niche and markets as well as implementing supply promotion/stimulation strategies in the context of dairy sub-sector.
- Experience in facilitating establishment of strategic alliances and joint ventures with local and foreign processors.
- Knowledge of equity financing (e.g. venture capital and/or private equity investing).
- Strong computer literacy, preferably with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to individuals diplomatically and tactfully.
- Ability to integrate financial services within a value chain with the view to foster trust and build strong relationship between chain actors and financial service providers.
- Must be courteous, honest and of high integrity, especially in high-pressure situations.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills with ability to relate to individuals and groups diplomatically and tactfully.
- Self-starter and self-motivator with the ability to work in a multicultural setting.
- Must be a team player and have the ability to execute and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow directions and independently complete assigned tasks (written or verbal).
- Ability to work a varied schedule to include early mornings, weekends and some evenings.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
P O Box 6416,
Closing date: Friday, 13th December 2013
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.