GVEP International Uganda Country Manager Job Vacancy
Purpose: GVEP International is implementing all aspects of this programme, which will support the growth of a sustained market for renewable energy, focusing on “e-MSMEs” (energy-focused micro, small and medium sized enterprises) in East Africa, as a means to drive economic prosperity in a way which is inclusive of people living in poverty.
The offered position is an open ended contract to manage the permanent GVEP office in Uganda with 11 staff and oversee all project activities in the country, such as the Capital Access for Renewable Energy Enterprises (CARE2) project funded by Sida, and the Energy SME (ESME) Project funded by the Russian Federation through the World Bank.
The Role: To deliver these results and more, GVEP International has a strong team of qualified, experienced and motivated staff in place.
Key activities and deliverables of the role will be:
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and oversee activities under the various projects and programmes in Uganda;
- Coordinate and liaise with relevant government bodies and the Private Sector Foundation on the implementation of projects in Uganda;
- Coordinate and oversee the collection of data for monitoring and evaluation purposes, including enterprise sales data, loan disbursement and repayment data, and completed business development activities; and coordinate these activities with the M&E Manager.
- Team management
- Budget management
- New business development
- Other duties may be assigned by the Programme Director or the Africa Regional Director as and when required.
- Educated to post graduate level in a relevant subject such as economics, energy or environmental studies;
- At least 3 years of direct work experience with international donor programmes, with strong project management skills and a track-record of delivering programme results, ideally in East Africa.
- Experience working with rural or small businesses, and an understanding of technology and distribution challenges of solar companies and other Energy SMEs, preferably in Uganda or East Africa;
- Experience working with Financial Institutions (commercial banks, microfinance) will be an added advantage as well as with Governments and Government agencies.
- Extensive experience creating and refining business plans, technical reports, writing narrative and financial reports;
- High level of inter-personal and presentation skills and an ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with colleagues, SMEs, governments and other stakeholders;
- A can-do and collaborative mind set – comfort with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly evolving environment.
- A passion for bringing in new business
- Developed leadership skills and strong ability to manage a team, develop work plans, monitor progress and provide targeted feedback;
- Fluent in oral and written English.
The full JD can be accessed from the GVEP International website:www.gvepinternational.org/en/business/jobs.
GVEP International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.