Green Zone Agencies Field Agronomist Job in Kisumu Kenya
GZA recently partnered with USAID under a 2-year USAID-KHCP (US Agency for International Development – Kenya Horticultural Competitiveness Partnership) Program for Soil and Water Management Technologies for Improved Productivity and Food Security in Nyanza Province.
- In liaison with the other GZA agronomists, establish a coordinated series of demonstration units for various horticultural crops for target farmers ranging from commercial entrepreneurs to smallholder farmers.
- Introduce new soil and water management technologies to farmers in the above-mentioned demonstration sites, which will also serve as a vehicle to share and reinforce Good Agricultural Practices (GAP).
- Provide sustained training and technical assistance (extension services) to smallholder farmers participating in the demonstration units and other field sites.
- Plan for and participate in GZA Field Days to share, showcase and promote successful technologies such as new varieties or production techniques to the wider farming community.
- Plan for and facilitate technical training workshops to share good practices in soil and water management technologies and key crops.
- In liaison with GZA’s Monitoring & Evaluation Officer, participate in conducting baseline surveys, regular monitoring and mid-term evaluations to document successes, challenges and learning points in GZA’s businesses.
- Write regular monthly, quarterly, yearly and annual reports and submit to Project Coordinator.
- Undertake other core businesses of GZA, which include but are not limited to: installation of irrigation systems, green houses, fertigation systems, and electronic water management systems; conducting sales of farm inputs and equipment and provision of after sales service.
- Represent GZA in various local and international meetings and technical workshops in the field of agronomy.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the Project Coordinator and/or Managing Director.
- Having good knowledge and practical background in soil and water management technologies will be an added advantage.
- Must have good communication, writing and analytical skills.
- Must have a minimum of a Diploma in Agriculture/Horticulture.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years working experience related to the above job description.
- Must be in possession of a valid driving/riding license. Copies of this document and testimonials will be required for shortlisted candidates.
- Knowledge of USAID-funded regulations will also be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge in management of greenhouses, shade nets, furrow irrigation and water management technologies will be a plus.
- Candidates with a background working in management of sweet potatoes, passion fruits and vegetable value chains will have an added advantage.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to use excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work extended hours.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to provide training on good agricultural practices to farmers.
The Projects Coordinator, Green Zone Agencies (GZA) by e-mail to [email protected] to reach us latest 12 pm on Friday December 10, 2013.