Google Jobs in Kenya: Communications and Public Affairs Manager, Africa – Nairobi
This Google job position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The area: Communications
It’s our job to help inform and educate consumers, partners and opinion formers about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive business ethos and approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here you’ll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!). Things happen quickly at Google and to get stuff done here you need to be a team player – a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn’t frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.
The role: Communications and Public Affairs Manager, Africa
As a member of the Communications team, you will work cross functionally to help communicate Google’s products and programs. In doing this, you will be required to devise specific campaigns to establish solid contacts with journalists, coordinate face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers, as well as develop print and web-based materials that are targeted at a range of different audiences. You will also actively counter misinformation while mitigating any negative media coverage that might lead to unnecessary regulation or interference that would inhibit our ability to serve our users. Managers are very strong writers who can process complex technology issues – through blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more – and explain them in clear language internally and externally. Based in either Nairobi, you will report to the Head of Communications and Public Affairs for Southern and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Manage Google’s day to day relationship with the media in sub-Saharan Africa with the exception of South Africa.
- Proactive and reactive media relations – both B2B and B2C.
- Supporting the team in the execution of Google’s strategic external communications plan.
- Working with the EMEA Communications and Public Affairs team to create and implement imaginative, B2B as well as B2C focused PR campaigns to launch and promote Google products.
- BA/BS degree preferred with a strong academic record.
- Extensive experience in communications, (consumer, corporate or public affairs), as well as experience of the technology and / or media sectors.
- First class written and oral presentation skills in English.
- The ability to think strategically and to learn quickly.
- A creative imagination capable of promoting new products in an exciting but practical way.
- A good attention to detail and a well organised, structured approach to work.
- A team approach to work, and the ability to work in a start-up environment and under pressure.