GE Kenya Recruitment 2011
We are GE. We’re a global infrastructure, finance and media company taking on the world’s toughest challenges. And we are taking the strengths that have made us an industry leader and putting them to work in service of a new era of global business, with a focus on the world and the people we share it with.
Through initiatives like ecomagination and healthymagination, we are developing the next generation of products and services to improve the way we use resources, impact our communities and care for each other. Join GE and you’ll discover a career opportunity of incredible diversity – across disciplines and around the globe. No other company invests in the development, training and advancement of its employees the way we do, because we believe it is our innovative thinking that is our strength, and that strength is what enables GE to make a positive impact on tomorrow, today. From jet engines to power generation, financial services to water processing, and medical imaging to turning imaginative ideas into leading products and services. GE is imagination at work
Posted Position Title: Customs Specialist – Kenya
Career Level: Experienced
Function Capital Markets
Function Segment: Securitization
Postal Code: 00100
Relocation Assistance No
MEA Customs COE is part of a Global Customs COE organization. Its primary objective is to develop and support Customs Compliance programs across the designated region. At request of GE Businesses Customs COE develops and implements import and export processes to support supply chain needs in a compliant and cost efficient manner. Role of Customs Specialist in Kenya would be primarily support implementation and operational management of import/export goods in Kenya for selected GE businesses.
• Ensure compliance to customs and all applicable border control agencies in Kenya
• Supervise day-to-day activity and performance of various 3rd Party customs clearance & freight forwarder provider(s).
• Research, analyze and update on customs regulations and policies applicable to GE business
• Provide education and training as necessary to business personnel & 3rd Party Providers to support compliance and duty-savings programs
• Act as liaison to local Customs officials in resolving government inquiries and audits
• Support MEA customs COE initiatives to establish compliant operations model for concerned shipments while taking advantage of duty-savings opportunities.
• Establish an ongoing evaluation rigor using metrics & customer input to plan and implement process changes due to business changes, new vendors, & updated shipping requirements.
• Drive process efficiency & simplification throughout
• Facilitate the collection & analysis of data to effectively measure & report performance to internal customer base.
• Create and implement document retentions policy as per local regulations
• Wide experience in all import & export customs regimes in Kenya
• Bachelor’s degree (Logistics, Engineering, or Business preferred).
• Minimum 7 years business experience in the areas of Customs and/or operations
Desired Characteristics • Proven multitasking experience.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Customer-focused and results-oriented mindset.
• Ability to maintain focus in an environment subject to constant change and pressure.
• Clear decision maker.
• Strong motivational, facilitation, and leadership skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
• Ability to react appropriately in a cross-functional, fast-paced, high volume role.
• Proficient in MS Office email, and Internet.
• International Experience.
• 3rd Party Provider management experience.