Farm Africa Senior Project Officer (Aquaculture) Job in Kisumu Kenya
Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Duration: One (1) year fixed term renewable contract
Aqua Shop Project: One-stop-shop for fish farming inputs and a viable/scalable business model for sustainable improvements in aquaculture environment in Kenya
Farm Africa’s mission is to reduce poverty permanently by unleashing African farmers’ abilities to grow their incomes and manage their natural resources sustainably.
We work with different types of farmers (pastoralists, agro-pastoralist, smallholders and forest dwellers) in a range of regions in eastern Africa.
We are currently seeking a Senior Project officer (SPO) – Aquaculture, for the Farm Africa – Aqua Shop project in Busia, Nyakach, Mumias, Gucha, Kakamega, Kisii areas, and possibly other areas to be identified within the wider but same project catchment.
You will be responsible for implementing the Aqua Shop Project over the next one year, ensuring that:
- Fish farmers access fish farming inputs, extension and advisory services,
- Access high value fish markets at local, regional and national levels
- Improve husbandry and management practices to increase production and productivity with measurable outcomes
- Ensure that both Aqua shop entrepreneurs (ASE) and smallholder fish farmers access credit services from MFIs to grow their enterprises
- Provide capacity building of ASEs and fish farmers
- Roll out the revised fish enterprise business model
You will have a relevant degree level qualification, preferably in fisheries or aquatic sciences, and sound knowledge of the development and policy environment in Kenya.
If you would like further information please see the job description (click here to download), or if you would like to apply, please submit a maximum 3-page Curriculum Vitae, a one page application letter with the reference: ‘2014 SPO – Aquaculture’ in the subject line to: [email protected] by 5.00pm, Wednesday 05March 2014.
Farm Africa is an equal opportunity employer.