East African Development Bank Jobs in Uganda: Manager, Information Technology
East African Development Bank (EADB) is a development finance institution with the objective of promoting development in East Africa. EADB plays a threefold role of lender, adviser and development partner. The bank provides a range of products and services which are made for the region’s development requirements. The bank has experience, financial backing, staff and a knowledge of the region’s financial requirements. As of September 2010, the capitalization of EADB is valued at approximately US$227 million.
The East African Development Bank was established in 1967 under the treaty of the then East African Cooperation between Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Following the break up of the East African Community in 1977, the bank was re-established under its own charter in 1980. In 2008, following the admission of Burundi and Rwanda into the EAC, Rwanda applied and was admitted into the EADB.
Under the new charter, the bank’s role and mandate were reviewed and its operational scope expanded. Under its expanded operational scope, the bank offers a broad range of financial services in the Member States. Its main objective is to strengthen socio-economic development and regional integration.
Job Title: Head, Information and Communications Technology advertised as Manager, Information Technology (1 position – Regional Role based in Kampala- Tenure: Up to 3 years)
Reporting to: Director General
The Head of Information and Communications Technology has the overall responsibility for the effective management of the ICT function within the East African Development Bank (EADB) and for ensuring high quality ICT support in the Bank offices in East Africa. He/She will be responsible for providing technical infrastructure to support the Bank’s regional ICT structure. The Head, ICT will be responsible for supporting the determination of the Banks’ ICT requirements, systems and vendor selection, implementation and management. He/She will ensure that the Bank’s ICT resources are used optimally and that all Bank staff has the skills required to use such resources.
In particular the IT Manager will:
• Prepare strategic ICT plans , that are aligned to the overall strategic plans of the Bank, ensuring that the ICT plans reflect developments and best practice in the ICT field and enable the Bank to enhance operational efficiency and to access quality information at all times;
• Provide guidance and participate effectively in the development of ICT related strategies, policies, procedures and guidelines for the bank;
• Prepare annual work plans in line with the long term ICT strategic plans, respond to the Bank’s business plan, and draw up supportive budgets. Communicate the plan to business wide work teams and ensure the timely execution of the work plan;
• Support heads of departments, identify and articulate ICT systems requirements and integrates such requirements into the Banks’ work plans and long term ICT strategies;
• Analyse ICT requirements and develop functional specifications. Conducts comparative analysis and competitive bidding;
• Responsible for routine maintenance of software applications, photocopies, telephones and other technologies;
• Responsible for pre-empting, troubleshooting and documentation of information technology lapses and risks;
• Develop LAN/WAN infrastructure and establish a maintenance schedule;
• Identify requirements and plans for the implementation of additions, deletions and major modifications to the regional network infrastructure. Specifies security standards and ensures that they are implemented;
• Serve as Project Manager on ICT procurement and implementation projects and ensure that projects are planned and executed efficiently and that all parameters including timelines, budgets and final outcomes meet the specified standards.
• Develop, implement a business continuity and disaster recovery strategy and ensure that this is enforced. Oversee systems troubleshooting, backups, archiving, and disaster recovery and provides expert support when necessary;
• Develop specifications for bespoke systems that are developed internally or by external suppliers. Engages user departments fully to ensure that the final outcomes meet user needs fully;
• Coordinate the work of hardware/software suppliers, consultants, trainers and other ICT service providers. Ensures that appropriate contracts, service levels agreements, etc are in place and are complied with. Maintain positive relationships with the suppliers so as to ensure speedy and quality responses from them;
• Ensure that Bank’s databases, domain and website are fully operational, accessible and secured;
• Maintain all software licences in a secure and valid state;
• Plan, schedule and coordinate and review the work of support staff to ensure that they deliver quality outputs at all times. Encourages staff to remain up to date with the latest developments in the ICT field and that they apply such skills on an ongoing basis;
• Develop appropriate ICT training plans for staff and enable staff use the availed ICT resources in an optimal manner;
• Monitor the usage of ICT resources across the Bank to ensure optimal use. Isolate problem areas, design and implement timely remedial action;
• Identify areas for improvement in internal processes and propose solutions. Participate in process development exercises and ensure that all approved processes are in harmony with the existing ICT systems;
• Undertake feasibility studies for areas of computerization and provide recommendations on the same;
• Propose solutions that will address new business processes and enable the Bank to provide the new opportunities;
• Coordinate the review projects deliverables, determine technical adequacy and applications systems requirements;
• Provide technical expertise in the interpretation, implementation, operation and maintenance of the Bank software applications;
• Perform analysis, design, and technical activities, user group facilitation, internal unit testing, structured walk throughs, and compilation of design and system documentation on easily accessible media;
• Resolve technical conflicts to keep projects on schedule and in conformity with Bank’s and industry technology requirements; and
• Provide technical input for the automation, implementation, and maintenance of decision support and predictive models that support financial analysis and forecasting and applications systems of the Bank.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor of Computer Science degree, ICT, Engineering or related fields;
• Possession of a relevant postgraduate degree and professional certificates such as MCSE, MCSD, CCNA, CISCO;
• Membership of a professional ICT body;
• In depth practical knowledge of operating system administration (Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP est.), LAN/WAN infrastructure to ensure connectivity throughout the region;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suit programs, common software applications, Document Management Systems as well as Oracle ERP, Oracle Financials;
• Hands-on experience with Flex Cube, PABX systems will be required;
• Familiarity with SAP and VSAT systems will be an added advantage;
• Minimum of eight (8) years experience in a professional ICT environment, four (4) of which should have been in the role of IT Manager in a busy ICT environment;
• Extensive Knowledge of banking software, working experience in a large bank and experience in systems development and analysis, change management, and process design will be definite advantages;
• Proven track record and strong Project Management experience and skills; and
• Strong innovative and analytical skills.
Requirements for all positions
• Have a clear understanding and commitment to the Bank’s mandate;
• Flexibility and willingness to travel, work and to relocate within East Africa;
• Diligent and able to work with minimum supervision in multinational and multicultural environment;
• Ability and willingness to work long hours and deliver on assignments within short deadlines and to perform other duties that may be assigned to him/her;
• Applicants must be nationals of one of the Member States of the Bank.
If your career aspirations match these challenging and exciting roles, please email your application quoting the relevant job title by 27th August 2010 to Executive Selection Division, KPMG Uganda at the following email address: [email protected] Please attach your CV containing an e-mail address, daytime telephone contact, qualifications, experience, present position, names and addresses of three referees. All applications should be sent via email.
New Contracts may be concluded after expiry of the preceding contract subject to exigencies of the service and mutual agreement of the parties.
Applicants should be nationals of the EADB member states. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. The Bank reserves the right to make an alternative offer or no offer at all.