East African Development Bank Jobs in Uganda: Communications and Public Relations Officer
East African Development Bank (EADB) is a development finance institution with the objective of promoting development in East Africa. EADB plays a threefold role of lender, adviser and development partner. The bank provides a range of products and services which are made for the region’s development requirements. The bank has experience, financial backing, staff and a knowledge of the region’s financial requirements. As of September 2010, the capitalization of EADB is valued at approximately US$227 million.
The East African Development Bank was established in 1967 under the treaty of the then East African Cooperation between Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Following the break up of the East African Community in 1977, the bank was re-established under its own charter in 1980. In 2008, following the admission of Burundi and Rwanda into the EAC, Rwanda applied and was admitted into the EADB.
Under the new charter, the bank’s role and mandate were reviewed and its operational scope expanded. Under its expanded operational scope, the bank offers a broad range of financial services in the Member States. Its main objective is to strengthen socio-economic development and regional integration.
Job Title: Communications and Public Relations Officer (1 position- Tenure: Up to 3 years)
Reporting to: Director General
Reporting to the Director General, the Communications and Public Relations Officer will be responsible for planning, preparing and implementing public relations and corporate communication programmes to publicize the work of the East African Development Bank (EADB) to all stakeholders; The Communication and Public Relations Officer will be the focal point for all authorized communication and will coordinate the development of the Bank’s communication strategy.
In particular the Communications and Public Relations Officer will:
• Act as the Bank’s liaison for authorised communication;
• Advise Management on communication and public relations within and outside the Bank;
• Plan, prepare and implement information programmes to keep the public and specific groups (government services, business, NGO’s international organizations, the general public, etc ) informed of the Bank’s programmes;
• Design and implement communication programmes to mobilize public opinion in favour of the cause for the economic and social development of East Africa, regional integration and the Bank’s activities in this area through the publication of articles and preparation of speeches, press releases, dissemination of films, organization of exhibitions, visits, debates, etc;
• Prepare, organize and conduct conferences and seminars to present the Bank’s views on major economic, political, social and financial initiatives in East Africa;
• Conduct regular research to enhance knowledge of the attitudes, opinions, and aspirations of the Bank’s major stakeholders;
• Produce bulletins, information circulars, as well as other publications on Bank activities;
• Pro-active media outreach efforts, proposing/arranging conferences, media coverage, dissemination of information materials, undertake appropriate follow-up action and analysis and reporting on the impact of coverage;
• Prepare communication budget and monitor costs;
• organize meetings and conferences sponsored by the Bank, manage all recording equipment, and communication and reporting of the outcome (s)of the meeting;
• Act as Liaison person between the media and EADB to organise press conferences and branding press conference venues, preparing press releases and holding formal and informal meetings with journalists;
• Manage specific aspects of the EADB website to ensure it is updated and interactive. Prepare and edit information for the site;
• Monitor the media on a daily basis, identify issues and trends and advise management on the appropriate action. Circulate topical media reports to management. Prepare weekly and monthly reports;
• Monitor media service providers performance in order to ensure timeliness, value for money, contractual appliance, partnership and integrity e.g. Newspapers, Radios, TVs and agencies;
• Respond to public views and information needs regarding the Bank. Draft press releases in response to issues arising in the media to protect and promote the image of EADB. This also involves developing articles or publications to inform the public of EADB’s activities or initiatives and;
• Plan, coordinate and implement the Bank’s Corporate Responsibility Programmes and other public relations related activities. Ensure appropriate publicity and media coverage of all official functions.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelors Degree in Communication or related fields;
• Relevant postgraduate degree in Communication, Journalism, Business or related fields;
• Minimum of five years (5) experience in public information, journalism, or communications in the financial sector at senior level and possess demonstrable capacity for leadership;
• Diploma in international relations and experience in public relations will be added advantages;
• Experience in a financial institution, multilateral organization writing on economic development, business or financial matters;
• Research and analytical skills and ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from various sources;
• Excellent writing skills and ability to prepare comprehensive and accurate papers, speeches and other presentation material;
• Up-to-date knowledge of current topics and issues and ability to identify communication opportunities and risks in a changing and complex economic, social and political environment;
• Must possess advanced technical knowledge, practical hands-on experience, highly developed technical skills to pre-empt, and to solve and manage complex issues effectively;
• IT skills to develop web–based interactive communications;
• Good presentation and public speaking skills;
• Excellent drafting and editing skills in English; and
• A good command of Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
Requirements for all positions
• Have a clear understanding and commitment to the Bank’s mandate;
• Flexibility and willingness to travel, work and to relocate within East Africa;
• Diligent and able to work with minimum supervision in multinational and multicultural environment;
• Ability and willingness to work long hours and deliver on assignments within short deadlines and to perform other duties that may be assigned to him/her;
• Applicants must be nationals of one of the Member States of the Bank.
If your career aspirations match these challenging and exciting roles, please email your application quoting the relevant job title by 27th August 2010 to Executive Selection Division, KPMG Uganda at the following email address: [email protected] Please attach your CV containing an e-mail address, daytime telephone contact, qualifications, experience, present position, names and addresses of three referees. All applications should be sent via email.
New Contracts may be concluded after expiry of the preceding contract subject to exigencies of the service and mutual agreement of the parties.
Applicants should be nationals of the EADB member states. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. The Bank reserves the right to make an alternative offer or no offer at all.