Cost Engineer Kenya – Vacancy in Automotive Industry
Cost Engineer (Automotive Industry) Job in Kenya
Closing Date: Open Until FilledSummary:Our client designs, manufactures and sells highly functional, highly affordable vehicles as a transportation platform empowering local entrepreneurs to mobilize the developing world.
They recognize that appropriate transport is a key enabler to socio-economic development in deprived communities across the developing world and aim to unlock this vast potential by designing, manufacturing and selling a new vehicle for Africa, starting in Kenya.They are looking for exceptional individuals who share their vision and possess the skills and attitude necessary to make a valuable contribution to their work in Africa.Job Objective:
Our client is seeking a minimum two year commitment from an exceptional early career Cost Engineer to lead the overall vehicle cost management process for a new vehicle that will form the basis of our main product offering into the African market – a truly unique opportunity to create impact on a global scale.
The role will require a close working relationship with the venture’s CEO, Supply Chain Associate, Design Engineer, and Automotive Designer. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:Primary Responsibilities:Cost Engineering
- Provide guidance to the Automotive Designer and Design Engineer for proposed new or modified designs to achieve required function at minimum cost.
- Develop cost estimates and projections for multiple vehicle commodities on Exterior and Interior; including Power Train, Chassis and Electrical.
- Utilize information ranging from written assumptions, sample parts, CAD models and engineering drawings.
- Maintain feasibility of engineering approach for low volume production tooling and limited in country resources. For example, steel stamping presses will not be available at initial production.
- Utilize in-country equipment and materials and adapt approach to the low-tech resources available.
- Gather details and compile data to estimate all production costs considering raw materials, labor, equipment, tooling, for estimations.
- Maintain all tooling and product cost information to assure the timely availability of data required for decision-making and to ensure conformity with budget directives.
- Liaise with manufacturing plants and suppliers to assure most economical tooling, processing and operations that will contribute to profitable production.
- Undertake competitive vehicle benchmarking to provide input for future model development.
- Perform Value Add / Value Engineering. Generate cost reduction ideas through identification of process/product efficiencies that will reduce overall costs. Work with all stakeholders to achieve cost reduction targets.
- Support Supply Chain Associate in specific sourcing work involving critical costs and engineering considerations; including analysis and trade-offs of functionality versus cost.
- Support Design Engineer and Automotive Designer on broader engineering duties relevant to the development of current and future vehicle models.
- Lead and facilitate cost review sessions. Report risks and opportunities of cost status on a weekly basis.
- Take ownership of projects; plan milestones, timelines, budgets, resources and identify potential risks to deliver engineering aspects within agreed completion dates.
- Be proactive regarding task completion and periodically advise wider team on project status, timing, resources, issues, and ability to deliver on-time with excellence.
- Ensure adherence and compliance to general automotive industry engineering standards and best practices; maintain structured and versioned data outputs daily and backup data weekly.
- Work as an active member of the team, ensure effective communication between colleagues and positively contribute regularly to meetings and briefings.
- Fluency in Kiswahili
- Bachelor degree (minimum) in Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Systems
- Engineering, Engineering Management or similar
- 3.4 GPA or higher from a top university worldwide
- 1-2 years of automotive-related experience
- Ability to read and understand design and manufacturing drawings
- Ability to evaluate and provide cost data on components in their commodity including direct material, direct labor and tooling costs
- Practical knowledge of VE and VA techniques and strong financial awareness
- High level of design awareness
- Ability to navigate CAD models in CATIA
- Passion for prototype development and a pragmatic attitude
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic working environment and work within a diverse team
- Extreme patience and a good sense of humor
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- High level of analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to self-manage; taking ownership of projects: budgeting, work planning, resource management and reporting
- A start-up personality; entrepreneurial, ambitious, independent, systematic attention to detail, structured thinker, goal-oriented, flexible and able to deal well with setbacks
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Systems
- Engineering, Engineering Management or similar
- 2-5 years of automotive-related experience
- Proficiency in CATIA, SolidWorks, Unigraphics or AutoCAD
- Solid knowledge of vehicle parts and subsystems and knowledge of part interaction
- Fluency in Kiswahili (the national language of Kenya)