Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the following position:
Position: Legal Consultant – Public Participation
Location: Marsabit County with frequent travel to Nairobi
Duration: Three (3) Months
Background: The Constitution of Kenya provides for a devolved system of government whose main object, inter alia, is to provide the powers of self-governance to the people, and enhance their participation in the exercise of the powers of the State and in making decisions affecting them.
Given that formal public participation is without precedent, the development and adoption of appropriate standards for citizen participation is a critical first step towards citizens’ realization of the right to participation and the powers of self-governance.
Moreover, the challenges present in the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands necessitate new and innovative methodology to enable participation for all.
It is for this reason that Concern Worldwide is supporting the County of Marsabit to establish appropriate mechanisms for citizen participation, as required by the County Governments Act 2012, through a grant from UK Aid.
Objectives & Scope of the Consultancy: The consultant will provide technical legal assistance including advisory, policy and legislative drafting and research services to the Marsabit County Government for the development of a Public Participation Bill and Policy.
Expected Outputs / Deliverables:
The consultant will report to Concern Worldwide and will be based in Marsabit County with frequent travel to Nairobi.
This assignment will be for ninety (90) work days and the consultant is expected to deliver:
- An inception report, including a commented outline and a list of existing information (10-15 pages)
- Bi-weekly progress reports
- A report of public consultations
- A draft public participation legislation
- A draft policy document on public participation
Consultant’s Profile or Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Laws Degree (Masters degree preferred)
- An advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- 7 years’ experience with at least 5 years proven track record in legal drafting
- In-depth knowledge of the Constitution of Kenya and Statutes on Governance and Devolution
- Significant experience in community mobilization, facilitating and documenting stakeholder consultations
- Familiarity with and/or working in ASAL areas with pastoralist communities will be an added advantage
- Proven research and report writing skills and excellent people and communication skills
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should send their CV and financial proposal to the following email address: [email protected]
with the subject as ‘Legal Consultant – Public Participation’ by Sunday, 9th February 2014.
Each application should include three (3) referees who can validate technical expertise.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Concern has a Code of Conduct and a Programme Participant Protection Policy to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from abuse and exploitation.