Claims Officer Job in Kenya
Job Title: Claims Officer
Reports To: Claims Manager
Key Relationships: Claims staff, underwriters, insured’s, affiliated agencies and service providers
Individual Claims Leadership
- Proactively manage individual claims from notification to closure, investing the necessary level of involvement required for each claim depending on, inter alia, the nature, category, maturity, type and quantum of the claim.
- Follow at all times company’s Claims Reserving Philosophy and Claims Standards.
- In liaison with your line manager develop, iterate, document and execute claims strategies taking into account uncertainties, key decisions, potential outcomes and estimated associated costs.
- Understand and implement company’s “Treating Customers Fairly” policy.
- Work with and support Claims Managers and Claims Team Leaders in the management of the claims portfolio to optimise performance including:
- Regularly review individual claims within the portfolio and keep reserves and records up to date as required by company’s claims controls and standards.
- Keep Reinsurance and Finance advised of any material claims as set out in your claims authority and claims protocols and procedures and work with Reinsurance to effect recoveries.
- Provide input to underwriters on review of potential or existing insured’s claims experience.
- Feedback claims trends and developments and their potential impact on the book.
- Suggest wordings improvements.
- Operate within your approved claims authority at all times.
- Have thorough knowledge of industry regulations and minimum standards to ensure compliance with the regulations and company’s claims and underwriting control standards and protocols.
- Follow company’s procedures for the selection and retention of 3rd-party professionals and manage these relationships to the benefit of Beazley.
- Where required conduct file reviews or audits and assist in the resolution of any issues identified.
- Work proactively to develop strong relations with key brokers and affiliated agencies.
- Promote the company brand of excellence in client service professionalism.
- Adhere to company’s Conflicts of Interest policy, alert the appropriate person to any potential conflicts of interest and take steps to resolve them promptly.
- Immediately advise your Claims Team leader or Group Head of Claims if anycompany employee seeks to exert undue influence on you or any other team member to act improperly in the management, reserving or settlement of any claim.
- Adopt thecompany culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic attitude contributing to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image to our external customers.
- Undertake relevant training on company policies and procedures as identified by line managers, Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, and internal audit).
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by claims line managers, through objectives or through the learning management system.
- Analytical skills: Problem solving (broad-based, analytical, conceptual, creativity), Analysis of financial statements, Financial assessments of claims, Data analysis, Decision-making
- Work management skills: Time and workload management, Self-starter, Planning, Achievement orientation, Productivity focus
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to influence others, Client, broker and agency management skills, Purposeful communication, Flexibility, Active listening
- Functional knowledge & understanding: Claims management process, IRA insurance legal and regulatory environment, Alternative resolution approaches.
- Experience in dealing with confidential data
- Outcome focused, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to successfully interact with senior management/ colleagues/ external suppliers
- Influencing others
- Attention to detail
- Team work
- Analytical thinking
- Managing resources effectively
- Technical competency and expertise