Care Uganda: Project Manager Jobs
CARE Denmark and the Uganda Carbon Bureau Ltd (UCB) are collaborating to improve living conditions and maximizing the positive impacts of carbon finance for poor people in a two-year project, ‘Fuel Efficient Stoves in East Africa: Reducing Emissions and Improving Livelihoods’. The project will establish a Support Facility to enable stove suppliers to access carbon finance by joining a Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) Programme of Activities (PoA) in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. The project will be funded by the Nordic Climate Facility, the Uganda Carbon Bureau, and CARE Denmark.
To coordinate and manage the PoA, UCB has established the Improved Cook Stoves East Africa Ltd (ICSEA Ltd). We are currently looking for a suitable candidate for the position of Project Manager.
- The Project Manager will report to the General Manager of ICSEA Ltd and will have the following key responsibilities:
- Successful implementation of project assistance to the PoA
- Manage and supervise the regional Support Facility Coordinator in implementing the Support Facility in the four participating countries
- Supervise the inclusion and authorization of new stove supplier organizations and their projects into the PoA
- Prepare reports on project progress and spending for the funders
- Support the General Manager in ensuring compliance with UNFCCC regulations, preparation of annual plans and budgets, issuance and marketing of CERs, and other tasks
- Provide technical advice to CARE International on sustainable household energy and making carbon markets accessible for the poor (unrelated to ICSEA Ltd)
- Strong people and project management skills
- Business skills and experience of managing a for-profit organisation
- Basic knowledge of CDM procedures and requirements
- Planning and organizational skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills, including intercultural awareness
Required skills and qualifications
- University degree in a relevant discipline such as engineering, environmental science, law or business management, plus a post-graduate qualification that will contribute significantly to the PoA’s operations
- At least five years’ relevant working experience, including project management experience, preferably from East Africa
- Fluency in written and spoken English, a good working knowledge of Swahili
- Demonstrated awareness of, and sensitivity to, poverty and gender issues
The incumbent will be based at the office of the Uganda Carbon Bureau in Kampala, Uganda, with travel to Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania and elsewhere as required. Salary level to be negotiated with the selected candidate.
Closing date for applications is 15 December 2010. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted before Christmas for interviews to take place as soon as possible after New Year.
**Please note: DO NOT APPLY DIRECTLY AT CARE.ORG. Application and CV should be sent via email to Rolf Hernø, Program Coordinator, CARE Denmark ([email protected]) and copied to Bill Farmer, Chairman, Uganda Carbon Bureau, ([email protected]).