CABI Invasive Species Management Scientist Job in Nairobi, Kenya
The role is to provide support to Invasive Species Management (ISM) systems of CABI by undertaking scientific data gathering and analysis in the implementation of projects within the Invasive Alien Species (IAS) team.
- Undertake ISM activities (research, technical and project support) that contribute towards delivery of project outputs;
- Contribute sound technical and scientific knowledge to design and conduct scientific experiments to maintain high scientific standards;
- Analyse research data and compile scientific results for project reports to meet project deliverables;
- Undertake field work activities in IS research work thereby being able to spend a significant amount of time away from place of residence during field research;
- Undertake professional development that increases personal capacity and advances ability to undertake independent investigations and project activities;
- Demonstrate adaptability and willingness to take on new challenges and tasks for the successful delivery of business goals;
- Provide regular feed-back to principal investigators and line managers during course of work, to ensure research is carried out timely and to a high standard.
- A First degree in Biological Science; an MSc in a biological subject or equivalent experience advantageous;
- Advanced relevant technical scientific experience;
- Experience with undertaking surveys for the presence of IAS and field trials on IAS impacts;
- Taxonomic skills especially with regard to the identification of IAS;
- Ability to undertake field work especially with regard to the determination of IAS impacts and overall Advanced technical scientific knowledge;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
Ability to work to high quality and tight deadlines to meet project requirements;
- Flexibility and able to learn quickly new technics and apply to new project activities;
- Ability to listen to and interpret complex scientific instructions;
- Willingness to undertake accompanied and unaccompanied international travel;
- excellent administrative and communication skills;
- Ability to prioritise and manage diverse workloads;
- Use initiative and pay attention to details.
- A good level of project management skills in a cross-cultural environment is essential.