AVU Web Services Senior Officer Job in Nairobi, Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 7, 2014
Job Vacancy: Senior Officer, Web Services
Introduction: The African Virtual University (AVU) is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by eighteen (18) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania Mozambique, and Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger, South Sudan, Sudan, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau and Nigeria.
The AVU Business Plan 2009-2014 has two main thrusts:
(a) Educational and support services provided on a fee basis; and
(b) Not-for-profit development services.
The, Not-for-profit development services, aims at building the capacity of AVU Partner Institutions (PIs) with an objective of increasing access to quality education through the following activities:
- updating and developing content;
- Open Educational Resources (OER) Development;
- AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP);
- setup/upgrade ODeL centers;
- developing professional networks through Communities of Practices;
- Research and Development; and
- Quality Evaluation and Benchmarking.
The AfDB is funding a second phase of the Multinational Project which will build on the first phase and will extend its benefits to more countries.
The overall objective of the AVU Multinational Project II is to strengthen the capacity of the AVU and a network of 27 institutions to deliver and manage quality ICT integrated education and training opportunities in 21 African countries.
The AVU is also in the process of developing and implementing a new Business Plan (214-2019) and the AVU General Assembly approved in July 2012 the full-fledged university project which will require an integrated, open and quality Information and Communication Technology.
Taking into account the rapid development and advance in Information and Communication Technology, the AVU intends to upgrade its web service portals, develop new web services and platforms and at the same time enhance its capacity on web services and social media through development of in-house expertise.
To this effect, the AVU wishes to engage a highly qualified and experienced Senior Officer, Web Services who will assist in the upgrade, development, implementation and continuous maintenance of the Web platforms and portals.
Scope of Work
The Senior Officer, Web Services will be responsible for the development of the voice for all
aspects of the organization’s online presence.
aspects of the organization’s online presence.
In addition to editing, proofreading and populating the web sites content, this person will also work closely with the technical team to develop, manage and maintain AVU Web services and portals and maintain site standards with regard to new development.
The Senior Officer will also be responsible for the development and implementation of site promotions, email newsletters, online outreach campaigns, and social media activities.
He (She) will work closely with technical teams, business development, and marketing of the AVU organization.
The Senior Officer, Web Services will be required to:
- Develop, manage and maintain AVU Web services and portals and ensure use of the state-of-the-art technology
- Develop information architecture and content strategy and oversee web services planning and development efforts taking into account AVU departments needs
- Create, edit, proofread and populate the AVU web site contents
- Maintain a consistent look and feel of the web contents and ensure availability of the Web services
- Develop and implement site promotions, email newsletters and feeds
- Develop, implement and manage the AVU social media events and activities
- Increase and maintain the organization online presence, identity and awareness
- Developed and manage online outreach campaigns and events such as online courses, conferences, workshops etc.
- Manage and moderate online community on web service portals including social networks
- Manage and secure AVU Domain Name Services (DNS) and sustain the DNS strategy
- Manage the legal aspects of the AVU DNS
- Participate in Web Systems integration with third party web services and tools and ensure interoperability
- Assist in the development, implementation, and integration of new or existing Mobile Apps.
- Identify, collect, analyze, prepare reports and disseminate online audience and web service performance metrics and insights
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of technical problems and issues
Deliverables and Expected Outcomes
- AVU Web services and portals develop, managed and maintained
- Information architecture and content strategy developed and web services planning and development efforts overseen
- AVU web sites contents created, edited, proofread and populated
- Consistent look and feel of the web contents maintained and web services availability ensured
- Site promotions, email newsletters and feeds developed and implemented
- AVU online events, social media events and activities developed, implemented and managed
- Organization online presence, identity and awareness increased and maintained
- AVU online outreach campaigns and events such as online courses, conferences, workshops developed and managed
- AVU online community on web service portals including social networks managed and moderated
- AVU Domain Name Services (DNS), DNS strategy and legal aspects managed, secured and sustained
- Web Systems integration with third party web services and tools performed
- Assistance on development, implementation, and integration of new or existing Mobile Apps provided.
- AVU online audience and web service performance metrics and insights identified, collected, analyzed, reported and disseminated
- Technical problems and issues troubleshoot and resolved
- Master’s degree preferably or Bachelor with sound experience in Computer Science or Software Engineering, Telecommunications, Electronic/Electrical Engineering or any related fields
- Minimum height years’ relevant experience in Computer Science, Software engineering, Web Mastering, or Online Community Management
- Experience managing online marketing and outreach campaigns, events
- Demonstrated experience developing and operationalizing web services, social media and online community-building strategies
- Excellent knowledge of Web Systems and Software Architectures
- Excellent Knowledge of Web Servers, Mail Servers, Databases (MS SQL, Open Source Database),
- Excellent knowledge in Web services programming including but not limited to social media programming languages
- Excellent knowledge in Web 2.0 (Social Networks, Wikis, Blog, Twits, Feeds etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of Learning Management System (LMS) such as Moodle, Blackboard, etc.
- Experience with Distributed Computing, Cloud Computing and Emerging Technologies
- Excellent knowledge of Windows and Unix/Solaris Client/Server Architectures, Virtual environment will be a good asset
- Good technical knowledge of Mobile Learning and integration will be acknowledged
- Good knowledge and insight of Information Security will be highly appreciated
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work under pressure to meet aggressive time schedules
- Proven ability to interact with and influence diverse groups within marketing, including senior management
- Strong written and verbal communications; must enjoy writing/editing
- Experience in Leadership and Project Management will well appreciated
- Any Certification related to the required qualifications will be a good asset
Modalities of Work and Timelines
The Senior Officer, Web Services will be appointed for duration of 2 years (24 months).
Reporting: The Senior Officer, Web Services will report to the Manager, Information Technology and/or such other person as the AVU may designate from time to time in writing.
However, the Senior Officer, Web Services will be required from time to time to support the other department units in the field relevant to his/her responsibilities.
Payment: Payment will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the potential candidate.
How to Apply
The African Virtual University (AVU) is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate will be appointed for 2 years renewable and will be based at the AVU Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
Application must include an application letter and detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email and residential addresses; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to [email protected] and must have Senior Officer, Web Services as the email subject.
The closing date for this application is February 12th 2014 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3)
All inquiries should be sent to [email protected]
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.