ASARECA EAPGREN Project Officer Job Vacancy
Recruitment for EAPGREN Project Officer
The Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA) is a sub-regional not-for-profit association.
The major objective of ASARECA is to develop policies and programs aimed at deepening co-operation in agricultural research and policy among its member countries for the mutual benefit of all the stakeholders in the agricultural sector.
- Develop the Operational Plan, Mid – term Plans, Annual workplans and budgets for the 8 African countries and regional interventions of EAPGREN based on the identified priorities and strategy.
- Develop the network project research portfolio and activities. This includes development of the research calls from the EAPGREN constituency, organising the evaluation of submitted concept notes and providing technical and scientific guidance in proposal development.
- Co- ordinate the procurement process for EAPGREN Partner countries for specialised items/ equipment to be bought out outside the respective individual countries through back stopping institution in Sweden.
- Identify capacity building needs and develop a strategy to build capacity of the various partners.
- Identify training institutions and organise short and long term training for staff in the EAPGREN partner institutions. Review relevance on thesis areas to be handled by EAPGREN staff sponsored for long term training.
- Raise additional resources from various global institutions to support and organise capacity building for African Negotiators Group who negotiate on behalf of the region on global for a pertaining to Plant Genetic Resources (PGR).
- Provide intellectual leadership in the implement collaborative research projects to ensure quality and relevance of the research projects to ensure quality and relevance of the research.
- Harmonise the information and documentation systems of the different partner countries participating in Plant Genetics Resource sustainable management and use.
- Ensure performance reports from partners are received on a timely basis. Review the reports to ensure impact has been achieved in line with the memorandum of understanding and partner agreement.
- Prepare periodic technical reports, performance reports and progress reports.
- Prepare publications for journals and provide material for the EAPGREN website.
- Organise monitoring and evaluation to ensure that the project delivers against the ASARECA results as per the work plan.
- Synthesise global negotiation recommendations and share with EAPGREN partner countries and research communities.
- Provide technical and scientific guidance in genebank operation including characterisation / evaluation, documentation activities at national level.
- At least 5 years in plant genetic resource research/ bio diversity research, genebank management, conservation and participation in global PGR/ biodiversity debates.
- Ability to analyse data and extract reporting material; and
- Good understanding and appreciation of regional plant genetic resource conservation and sustainable use in Eastern Africa as well as agricultural issues.
- Good communication, presentation as well as negotiation skills
- A strategic planner with a flair for networking and collaboration
- Impeccable leadership and people management coupled with good financial management skills
Plot 5 Mpigi Road
PO Box 765 Entebbe,