Aga Khan University Network of Quality Assurance and Improvement Job in Nairobi Kenya
AKU Network of Quality Assurance and Improvement
The AKU Network of Quality Assurance and Improvement (QAI_net) aims to promote the highest quality academic programmes at AKU through structured periodic self, peer and external reviews and evaluations.
Over the next 5 years, the QAI_net will
- identify and catalogue current quality assurance processes employed at AKU for academic programme improvement;
- standardize internal quality assurance procedures and develop an AKU-wide policy and procedures for periodic reviews of existing programmes and the consideration of proposals for new programmes;
- develop awareness amongst all AKU faculty of their personal responsibility for ensuring that programmes are of the highest quality, and provide appropriate staff development to help them achieve this;
- take collective responsibility for ensuring that adequate systems for quality assurance and enhancement have been developed and are in place;
- support and enhance quality processes and procedures through regular and periodic self, peer and external assessment of programmes;
- create a network of quality assurance resource persons to support the self- and peer-assessment of programmes; and
- standardize student evaluation of courses and instructors to improve academic provision.
We are currently seeking exceptional candidates for a senior position in the AKU QAI_net.
Working closely with the Director of the QAI_net, you will manage the assurance of academic quality and standards as well as support for quality enhancement and related processes and activities across the University.
You will have an excellent track record in systems and quality assurance management, monitoring and evaluation, as well as experience in managing teams and resources.
- Manage quality assurance systems, provision of data and data returns, reports, performance indicators, and the annual quality cycle across all AKU campuses
- manage effective arrangements for programme and institutional reviews, self-assessments, peer-validations, recognitions, and other initiatives of the Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA), validating partners and other external bodies.
- Support senior managers in the preparation of documentation for events.
- Maintain and monitor an action plan of activity as a result of recommendations from audit and/or review
- work with senior academic staff, devising appropriate qualitative and quantitative measures and performance indicators relevant to quality assurance and enhancement
- monitor output from the Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan, Commission for University Education (CUE), Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU), Uganda National Council for Higher Education (NCHE), and IUCEA and other relevant professional bodies and recommend and implement changes to regulations and procedures, where necessary, to ensure compliance with the relevant requirements
- develop and maintain systems for monitoring institutional compliance with the bodies listed above
- act as executive secretary to relevant committees as determined by the Director
- coordinate the review and updating of the University’s internal Academic Quality Handbook and other institutional guides and codes of practice on academic quality management
- support the capacity building of staff and faculty on internal quality assurance (training and facilitation).
- be responsible for any delegated budgets related to the post
- work closely with the Assistant Director of the QAI_net
- support the management of the Network of Teaching and Learning as required by the Director
- undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required by the Director.
Candidates should have:
- Master’s degree in management, policy, development or related areas
- proven experience in project planning and management
- ability to manage budgets
- experience with strategic planning
- operations oversight experience
- strong IT skills
- willingness to travel for the job
- liaison and systems and database development and management experience
- proven ability in monitoring and evaluation
- ability to provide deliverables on time
- efficient time management skillls
- strong attention to detail and accuracy
- excellent organisational and administrative skills
- ability to communicate complex information in an effective, concise and tactful manner, both orally and in writing
- experience of writing substantial reports
- ability to build and maintain constructive relationships with a range of colleagues in different areas within an organisation
- the ability to prevent and/or solve problems with flexibility, timeliness and imagination
- ability to provide a high level of support for academic committees.
- substantial experience of a similar managerial/senior role
- substantial experience of quality management/administration and servicing committees, ideally in an academic environment
- experience of setting clear and effective aims and objectives against which work can be planned
- experience of proactively developing services and managing change to meet the needs of an organisation and/or students
- facilitation and training experience
- collaborative team player/excellent inter-personal skills
- ability to manage staff effectively
- ability to set priorities and work proactively
- the ability to work well under pressure and find solutions to problems
- the ability to deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information
- commitment to continuing professional development
- commitment to equal opportunities and the promotion of diversity.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter (addressed to Dr. Tashmin Khamis, Director, QAI_net) and detailed CVs by email only to email@example.com and mentioned the position applied for in the subject line.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held in February.
Applications should be submitted latest by January 31, 2014.