African Virtual University Senior IT Consultant Job in Nairobi, Kenya
The AVU ICT Master Plan will create the bridge between Business Strategies and the Information and Communication Technology that support them.
- Assess the current ICT provision and support within the global context of higher education
- Support the vision and business plan of AVU
- Streamline ICT as key enabler tool for Distance Education and eLearning
- Support collaboration in, Open Distance and eLearning, Research and Information System administration.
- Ensure a co-ordinated and coherent approach to the development, deployment and support of ICT services.
- Align the AVU with the latest advance in Information and Communication Technology
- The provision of ICT infrastructure and services that meet the AVU Business plan and that are aligned with the current and future needs of AVU
- The delivery of high-quality and cost effective ICT infrastructure and services
- The fostering of innovation, best practices, and value for AVU in the use of ICT in teaching, learning, and research across the Africa
- Strengthening of the security of AVU information
- The openness of access to the AVU infrastructures and services for AVU staff
- Develop a customer driven service model for IT services.
- Conduct an ICT/Telecommunications sector review and needs analysis in the global context of Higher Education and draw recommendations about best practices
- Review the existing Information and Communication Technology and assess the current and future needs of the AVU departments
- Assess the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) of the current AVU ICT (Headquarters, Center for Virtual Education Innovation, and Dakar Office) including Web services platforms and portals
- Review and develop ICT Department Goals and Strategies according to AVU Vision and Strategic Objectives
- Develop Department Goals and Strategies that seek to stream ICT as a catalyst tool in Education
- Develop ICT Security strategies that ensure that the AVU data and Information are secured and protected against thefts, loss, disaster, hackers, and cyber-attacks
- Identify ICT programs and projects that fit to the Vision, Missions and Business Plan of AVU
- Develop technical specifications for the programs and projects and ensure the latest state-of-the-art Technologies deployed
- Check and ensure openness and interoperability of the Hardware and Software Components of the identified ICT programs and projects
- Develop an Action Plan including implementation plans, schedules and budget for all identified ICT programs and projects
- Advise on cost saving measure
- Report of the review and need analysis including recommendations of use of ICT/Telecommunications in Higher Education Institutions provided
- Existing AVU Information and Communication Technology reviewed and assessed, highlighting the current and futures needs of the AVU departments
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) of the current AVU ICT (Head Quarters and Dakar Office) including Web services platforms and portals assessed
- ICT Department Goals and Strategies developed according to AVU Vision and Strategic Objectives
- AVU ICT Security strategies developed
- ICT programs and projects that fit to the Vision, Missions and Business Plan of AVU identified
- Up to date technical specifications for the projects taking into account the latest state-of-the-art Technology and future developments and innovations developed
- Openness and interoperability of the Hardware and Software Components of the identified ICT programs and projects assured
- Action Plan including Implementation plans, schedules and budget for all identified ICT programs, projects developed.
- AVU ICT Master Plan developed
- Master’s degree preferably or Bachelor with sound experience in Computer Science or Engineering, Telecommunications, Electronic/Electrical Engineering or any related fields
- Minimum eight years’ relevant experience in the ICT/Telecommunications industry
- Strong Management and Leadership Skills
- Sound experience in developing and implementing ICT Master Plans in big organizations
- Excellent knowledge of Systems and Software Architectures
- Excellent knowledge of computer networking, including Wide Area Networking, Local Area Networking, installation, management and maintenance issues
- Excellent Knowledge of Server software (Web, Email, FTP), Databases (MS SQL, Open Source), Windows Servers, and Unix/Solaris
- Experience with Distributed Computing, Cloud Computing and Emerging Technologies
- Sound experience in working with heterogeneous environment (Linux, Solaris, Windows, virtualized systems)
- Up to date knowledge and experience of the latest ICT Technologies and Tools
- Experience in design and deployment of eLearning Centers is an asset
- Experience in developing and implementing ICT Master Plans in High Educational Institution will be considered
- Certifications such as ITIL V3, PMP or any other certifications related to the required qualifications will be a good asset
- Good knowledge and insight of Information Security will be highly appreciated
- Preliminary or interim Report highlighting the consultant understanding of the master plan project : 1 day
- Drafting and preparing Report of the review and need analysis including SWOT : 3 days
- AVU ICT Master Plan : 14 days
How to Apply
The Senior Information Technology Consultant will be expected to complete the exercise in a period not more than heighten (18) working days.
The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is an equal opportunity employer.