African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) Project Officer Job in Mwanza, Tanzania
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Mar 19, 2014
Terms of Reference: Project Officer
Background and Context
The African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) is a not-for-profit organisation that facilitates and promotes public/private partnerships to access, develop, adapt and deliver appropriate agricultural technologies for sustainable use by smallholder farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
It is headquartered in Nairobi, and its mandate covers sub-Saharan Africa.
More information about AATF is available at wvvw.aatf-africa.org
Recently, AATF got funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through Feed the Future Partnering for Innovation Initiative, to support the project on commercialization of the IR maize technology in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
The initiative aims to provide farmers with effective means of controlling Striga weed and thus improve their maize productivity.
In this regards, AATF is seeking to recruit a Project Officer, with requisite qualification and experience, to assist it ¡n commercialization the technologies in Tanzania.
Description and Objective of the Assignment
This position bears the responsibility for ensuring that project operations in the target areas are successfully implemented as per AATF’s work plan.
The incumbent will assist AATF in developing and implementing the project deployment and commercialization plan, ¡n line with AATF’s mission.
This is a nationally recruited position and thus the incumbents will be based in Mwanza.
The position is on a two-year contract, but may be renewed based on performance and availability of funds.
Reporting directly to the Programme Officer-Projects Management and Deployment (PMD), and under the overall supervision of the Senior Manager-PMD, the incumbent will oversee assigned project operations in target areas as appropriate.
He/she will be expected to provide strong leadership to facilitate the achievement of the set project milestones.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To ensure the marketing and commercialization of IR maize varieties
- To represent AATF in the field work and meetings
- To assist in the development and the implementation of annual project work plans in target areas
- Established and maintained productive networks and linkages with project partners, government departments and other stakeholders for effective and timely achievement of project goal and objective.
- To track project milestones against work plans, write and compile reports as per required timelines.
- Foster transparency and best practices with stakeholders in target countries.
- To ensure field data collection and analysis as appropriate, including compilation of summary reports
- Actively assess and suggest approaches that will enhance the efficiency of the product deployment.
- Organizing seed fairs, farmer workshops and field visits to facilitate knowledge and technology transfer to the farmers.
- Assist in development and implementation of appropriate training modules for capacity building of seed producers, extension service providers and farmers.
- Work with extension, farmers and seed companies to facilitate increased adoption of IR maize technology.
Desired Candidate Profile
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in agricultural or related sciences from a recognized University.
- Experience in field work, data collection and analysis is a distinct advantage.
- At least 3 years’ experience in project management with reputed organization working in the food security sector
- Familiarity with the formulation and conduct of Extension Training Programs
- Experience in working with seed producers to facilitate seed production and sales
- Ability to work with teams within public and private sector partners.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information that comes by virtue of appointment and ¡n the course of assigned duties.
- Excellent planning, quality management and budgeting.
- Results and detail-orientation and the ability to work with a sense of urgency in a multicultural and diverse environment.
- Team player with capability to work with people in such a manner as to guide teams to commit to objectives.
- Proven communication skills including the ability to clearly document and present information through oral and written English.
- Good understanding of the operations of NGOs will be an advantage.
Submission of Applications
Qualified Tanzanian candidates are invited to submit their applications with detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) to the MTF Human Resource Associate [email protected] on or before 21st March, 2014.
Your CV should include details of your qualifications, experience, current position, telephone contact, email address, names and addresses of three referees.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.