Adeso Senior Communications Officer Job in Nairobi, Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Feb 13, 2014
Position Title: Senior Communications Officer
Reporting to: Communications & Advocacy Manager
Working with: Communications & Advocacy Department, Programs team, Executive Director’s office
Duration: 1 year, renewable
Starting date: Immediate
Starting salary: Kshs. 185,963 – 248,855 monthly (Gross) Plus other competitive benefits
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth.
It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The position holder will work closely with Adeso’s Communications and Advocacy Manager and other program staff to support the organization’s communications needs across its three country programs.
The purpose of this position is to support the overall functioning of the communications department and ensure timely execution of the day-to-day work of the department.
- Increase Adeso’s online visibility and voice
- Document and communicate results from Adeso’s projects in Kenya, Somalia and South Sudan
- Produce communication products
- Provide communication and visibility support to new and ongoing projects
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the Adeso website, including regularly updating the “In the Spotlight” and “Success stories” sections, as well as the headlines facts;
- Monitor and report on website usage;
- Liaise with external consultants on a needs-basis for development of new website templates.
- Manage Adeso’s social media accounts and increase social media following and help Adeso become a stronger, more credible voice on online platforms;
- Develop and oversee the implementation of an organizational social media strategy;
- Set targets for increasing Adeso’s visibility and reach via Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and other social networking sites;
- Monitor and report on social media usage.
Publications and multi-media materials
- Develop and maintain a suite of print and online materials to effectively communication Adeso’s mission, vision, main messages and on-going projects to key audiences;
- Develop, edit and disseminate Adeso case studies and success stories to maximize their use;
- Work with project teams to create and regularly update project profiles as well as an organizational profile;
- Maintain an updated database of available information materials (physical and electronic);
- Oversee the design, procurement and distribution of print materials;
- Support the writing, designing and dissemination of Adeso’s annual report;
- Produce the Adeso quarterly newsletter;
- Work with consultants to produce pictures and videos.
- Produce the Adeso quarterly report
- Support the Communications and Advocacy Manager in developing media strategy, drafting press releases, pitching stories to the media, responding to media enquiries and building dialogue with journalists;
- Support the organization of media visits to field sites.
- Deliver communications trainings to Adeso field staff.
- Any other duty as may be assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field, or Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated experience;
- Four years’ work experience in communications;
- Experience working within a humanitarian or development context and working on international donor funded projects;
- Experience in dealing with the media and knowledge of local media landscape;
- Experience in providing training and mentoring, particularly in the field of communications;
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar;
- Experience in managing websites and using social media tools in a professional context;
- Photography, graphic design and short video production skills preferred;
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in a timely manner;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity;
- Willingness and ability to travel to remote locations
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to [email protected], quoting the position in the email subject matter, by February 14th, 2013.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages);
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is only open to Kenyan nationals.