Adeso Community Mobilizers Jobs in Marsabit Kenya
Category: General Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Jan 18, 2014
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Position Title: Community Mobilizer
Reporting to: M&E Officer
Working with: Project Team
Programme / Duty station: Mobile Non-Formal Education Project / Marsabit County (exact locations TBD)
Duration: 1 year (Renewable)
Starting date: Immediate
Starting Salary: Kshs. 24,225 monthly (Gross) Plus other competitive benefits
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Position Summary: This position is part of the Mobile Non-Formal Education (MNFE) Project, which seeks to enhance access to education for nomadic children aged 13-18 years in Marsabit County who are not currently enrolled in any formal schooling.
Adeso is seeking two qualified and committed individuals to join the MNFE team as Community Mobilizers (CM).
The incumbents will be the project ambassadors in the community and work closely with the M&E officer to monitor activities on the ground. Each CM will be allocated 3 Mobile Schools to support in the field, including follow up with the associated Community Education Committees (CECs).
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct community sensitization meetings in targeted communities.
- Encourage full participation by all community members, paying special attention to women.
- Assist in recruitment of teachers.
- Facilitate selection and training of CEC members.
- Assist CEC and community members and teachers to develop selection criteria and identify pupils to participate in the project.
- Gather and collate monitoring data and report on findings from field monitoring activities.
- Work with the M&E Officer to learn how to conduct analysis of the monitoring data.
- Assist the M&E Officer with the organization of semi-annual stakeholder meetings.
- Assist the Senior Project Officer and the Cashier/Clerk with other aspects of project implementation as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- KCSE Certificate.
- Resident of Marsabit County.
- At least 1 year of relevant experience.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with community members and colleagues.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English.
- Computer skills.
- Relevant technical/vocational qualification.
- Experience working on education projects and/or with pastoralist communities.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job.
But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team please submit your application to [email protected] by January 24, 2014.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resource Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.