ACTED Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Officer Job in Baringo, Samburu and Northern Kenya Regions
Category: NGO Jobs in Kenya
Posted: Sep 5, 2013
ACTED (Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development) is a non- political and non – confessional international NGO founded in 1993 and headquartered in Paris, France.
The organization’s vocation is to save lives, assist vulnerable populations and bring hope to those in need for a better future.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the positionDisaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Officer in Baringo, Samburu, and Northern Kenya regions.
Based in Samburu and reporting to the Area Coordinator, the incumbent’s duties and responsibilities will include:
- Together with Program staff and Specialist staff, develop project implementation plans and reports according to approved ACTED and donor standards.
- Coordinate with the field teams and AMEU to provide input to project monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Together with the Program Manager, set up, plan, supervise and monitor the project to ensure the successful implementation of all activities, the generation of planned outputs and attainment of key project objectives as relates to DRR.
- To manage the field staff to provide them with advice and ensure technical backstopping on CMDRR training, CDMP development, and proposal development and implementation;
- Follow up on the trainings conducted, paying particular attention to attendance, and the quality of the assessments undertaken by the CDMCs, offering extra support or advice where necessary to maintain the integrity of the activity.
- Present plans to district or county officials, particularly the NDMA, and encourage their active understanding and participation in the plans. Follow up to see if NDMA plans are incorporating the CDMC’s plans, and advise ACTED management as to the progress.
- Guide CDMCs to put in place and regularly update the appropriate records and reporting formats where necessary;
- Mentor the CDMC groups and build their managerial and entrepreneurial skills to enable them become self-reliant;
- Together with the Program Manager and other Specialists, assess plans and proposals made by CDMCs paying particular attention to budget, beneficiaries, sustainability; facilitate improvement of proposals if necessary.
- Monitor the application of grants, ensuring that CDMC’s are utilizing the grant as per the approved proposal.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Program Manager or Coordination.
- A degree or higher diploma in disaster management, community development and project management, development studies or social science from a recognized institution.
- At least two years of involvement in the community work; mobilizing, counselling and or training communities (Having worked with an NGO is preferable)
- Possess skills in proposal and report writing, project cycle management and participatory monitoring and evaluation of projects
- CMDRR training by IIRR or other institutions an added advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to offer strategic advice on mainstreaming DRR organizationally as well as programmatically
- Flexible and ability to work under pressure in emergency situations.
- Strong commitment to the organization’s mission, vision and strategies
- Ability to manage time, multitask and prioritize
- English & Kiswahili fluency are minimum requirements. Fluency in Samburu, Pokot & Turkana local languages desired and an advantage
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae, three work related referees, contacts and expected salary to [email protected] and received on or before 5.00PM on 16 September 2013
Kindly note that due to the urgency of the position, CVs will be shortlisted on on-going basis.
ACTED reserves the right to hire prior to the application deadline.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer, qualified female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.