ACF Advocacy Manager Job in Kenya
Line management of: None
Founded in 1979, ACF International (Action Against Hunger) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers programs in over 40 countries.
ACF is present in Kenya since 2001. Currently the mission is implementing program activities in West Pokot, Isiolo, Tana River, Garissa and Dadaab refugee camps.
ACF Kenya is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced candidate to take on the position of the Advocacy Manager based in Nairobi.
- Expand, coordinate and improve ACF’s advocacy and communication for tackling under nutrition at national and county levels
- Explore and implement different advocacy and communication strategies /mechanisms to ensure the inclusion of nutrition on the county political and development agenda
- Develop and communicate advocacy messages targeted to various stakeholder groups and especially decision makers at county level (and secondary at national) using evidence based communication tools and platforms.
- Disseminate updates on new developments in nutrition advocacy, new development in government policies, regional and international events, etc.
SO1: Contribute to the development of the advocacy strategy
- Developing the mission advocacy strategy consistent with the technical strategies and ACF international (and regional if applicable) advocacy strategies: identification of objectives of change, analysing contemporary country specific debates (resilience, devolution) defining the messages, targets and partners and relevant tools.
- Develop a work plan, with specific advocacy and communications objectives and activities, as well as a calendar and budget, for the period from June 2013 to July 2014
- Set up a calendar, with county, national and regional key events for advocacy opportunities
- Incorporate advocacy objectives within mission’s proposals and reports
- Facilitate the sharing of advocacy objectives within the mission
- Support in-country management to ensure the integration of advocacy in regular programming
- Managing information necessary for advocacy activities at national and county level elaborating the action plan and coordinating the implementation of advocacy activities with the program teams
Examples of task:
- Analyze the situation on advocacy issues: Collect and update the data, follow political, financial, administrative, county, national or international dates, follow the positioning of all parties and their changes.
- Coordinate the collection of evidence through the results of ACF programs in the country and according to opportunities to influence
- Write positioning papers and summaries and actively participate to the writing of messages/arguments.
- Participate to official and lobbying meetings about issues related to the advocacy strategy in cooperation with the Heads of Technical Departments, the Head of Base and Deputy Country Director
- To develop or contribute to development of advocacy products such as policy briefings, letters, submissions and other advocacy products
- Develop a mapping using a power analysis of key decision makers (in the ACF operational areas) for nutrition sector (nutrition direct and sensitive)
- Developing and coordinating partnerships with other parties on advocacy activities (NGO, civil society) and facilitating joint advocacy activities
- To undertake advocacy and lobbying as required with in-country national and county decision-making bodies and stakeholders (including Governors, local MPs etc.)
- Supporting the Country Director (or Deputy CD) in developing contact with the media in order to have an effective and efficient channels for advocacy messages
- To engage in networking, building relations with national and county stakeholders to continually inform, challenge and improve advocacy messages and tactics
- Contributing to advocacy related working groups (NTF sub group, IAWG)
- Recording lessons learned, best practices and challenges on advocacy activities and transmit to HQ
- Train/ sensitization all Program Manager on advocacy
- Repository of advocacy and communication initiates , tools and documents
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, communication and media
- Master’s degree in relevant field desirable
- Minimum 5 years in the humanitarian/development sector
- Minimum 2 years of humanitarian experience in an advocacy position
- Experience with ACF is desirable
- Knowledge and practical experience of general humanitarian standards and principles such as Sphere Standards, HAP, and the Red Cross Code of Conduct, Do No Harm and conflict sensitivity.
- Up to date knowledge of the humanitarian discourse around key concepts such as devolution, resilience, LRRD
- Advanced knowledge of donors’ guidelines/procedures
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Package
- Good understanding of all three ACF’s technical sectors is desirable
- Excellent planning skills
- Outstanding writing and communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and management skills
- Training and capacity building skills
- Good analytical and presentation skills.
- Credibility to lobby, network, influence and represent ACF Kenya at all levels.
- Must be disciplined and able to work autonomously and arrive at decisions and conclusions with minimal guidance.
- Proven ability to learn and adapt
- Start date: August 2013
- Duty station: Nairobi Office with frequent travel to the field bases. ACF will provide transport and accommodation plus meals when travelling to the field bases
- Remuneration package: Very Competitive salary package with additional benefits to include:
- Career development opportunities with ACF
- Training opportunities
- Comprehensive medical cover for self and dependants
- Opportunity to work in a good and friendly environment with a dynamic and motivated team
- Duration of contract: One year contract, renewable depending on funding availability and performance
Interested candidates should forward their applications including a cover letter, curriculum vitae and telephone contacts and email addresses of 3 referees preferably former/current supervisors (certificates will be required later on in the recruitment process) to:
Email: [email protected] indicate the position on the subject line of the email.
Position opened to Kenyan Nationals only